Table of Contents
(Click on a title to jump to that section)
Opportunities at The Cowl
- News Writer
- Opinion Writer
- Arts & Entertainment Writer
- Portfolio Writer
- Sports Writer
- Copy Editor
- Graphic Artist/ Illustrator
- Business Staff
- Circulations Staff
- Web Staff
- Social Media Curator
- Fact Checker
Description: The News Staff provides the Providence College community with timely information about both on campus and off campus events or issues. News writers attend these events or conduct interviews to investigate these issues and submit their articles on a weekly basis.
- Attending weekly News Staff meetings to discuss story assignments
- Writing articles on a weekly basis
- Interviewing students, faculty members, or administrators
- Attending events, meetings, or forums
Time Commitment: News Staff meetings are held Monday evenings and typically last a half hour. News writers will also need to be available to attend events and schedule interviews. Articles can be written from home, however they should be submitted in a timely manner to comply with the section’s deadline.
Experience: No experience required. Previous work in news writing or on a newspaper is a plus.
Location: Weekly meetings are held in The Cowl office. Events are typically held at various locations across campus, and interview locations are arranged between the writer and the interviewee.
Description: Opinion Staff Writers are responsible for writing opinion pieces on relevant topics pertaining to the PC community on a weekly to bi-weekly basis.
- Writing articles
- Contributing pieces to other features in The Cowl
Time Commitment: Attending 30-minute weekly meetings. Managing time effectively to abide by deadlines.
Experience: No experience is necessary.
Location: No set location to complete tasks. Weekly meetings held in The Cowl office.
- Following the seasonal athletics of Providence College.
- Attending Weekly Meetings to learn your assignment for the week and to review the past weeks issue.
- Occasionally interviewing people involved in athletics (Coaches, Players, Managers, AD’s and GA’s)
- Finishing Articles by Monday Nights each week, Tuesdays can also work as due dates for longer assignments.
Time Commitment: Half an hour for a weekly meeting. Time spent on articles depends on the specific assignment, can range from half an hour to a few hours each week.
Experience: A familiarity with sports is preferred, especially at the college level. However, there is no experience required.
Location: Meetings are held in the Cowl Office in lower Slavin, articles can be written anywhere.
Description: The copy editors read through each article of The Cowl, finding and correcting mistakes. The main objective of the staff is to ensure that every article that goes to print is factually correct and stylistically sound. Errors are the easiest way to lose credibility, so it is our job to fix every error before the paper prints.
- Read articles and correct spelling, grammatical, and factual mistakes
- Check page layouts for flaws
- Maintain a consistent writing style throughout each section of The Cowl
Time Commitment: Three hours a week on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings.
Experience: A strong grasp of correct spelling and grammar is necessary. Experience in writing or editing is helpful but not required.
Location: The Cowl office.
Description: The Cowl Business Staff generates profits by selling advertisements and handling the newspaper accounting. Business Associates interested in sales can choose to handle on-campus or local business accounts. Those interested in accounting can assist with weekly publication fee payments, accounts receivable, reimbursements, and deposits.
- Ad sales to local businesses (sales pitch, communication with the client, follow-up on the payment)
- Market research to identify potential new clients
- Helping manage on-campus and national ad submissions
- Handling accounts receivable and assisting with accounting tasks
- Managing the online advertisements
Time Commitment: At least one hour a week.
Experience: Training is provided for our staff based on the responsibilities they choose to fulfill.
Location: Weekly staff meetings take place in The Cowl office. You do not need to leave campus to handle on-campus advertisement or accounting tasks. Local sales may require you to visit the clients off campus in the area around Providence College.
- Uploading weekly articles to the website
- Improving the organization and layout of the website
- Helping manage online staff applications
- Innovating new ideas for our web presence
- Managing the online archive
Time Commitment: At least one hour every Thursday or Friday.
Experience: No experience is necessary as the website runs on an easy to use platform. All training can be completed in a couple hours.
Location: At first work is completed in one of the computer labs on campus, however after a few weeks work can be done on any of the campus computers.
- Posting to accounts
- Creating and managing accounts
Time Commitment: At least one hour a week plus a weekly meeting.
Experience: Experience with Social Media is preferred but not required. All training can be completed in a couple hours.
Location: Meetings are in The Cowl office. Most work can be completed on any electronic device.
Description coming soon.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I apply to join The Cowl?
Simply fill out the application at the bottom of this page and wait for an interested section to contact you. Students of all class years are welcome. No prior experience is required and continuous training is provided for all positions.
What can working for The Cowl do for me?
The Cowl was established in 1935, and is currently circulated to 1,500 to 2,500 readers. The Cowl is a learning experience, and our experienced staffers will work with newer staffers to help them develop writing and editing skills as well as a greater understanding of how newspapers function.
How big of a commitment is working for The Cowl?
Cowl staffers choose their time commitment. Contributing Writers may submit as few as one or two stories per semester; Senior Staff Writers write one or two stories each week. Other departments similarly accommodate varying time commitments.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with other questions or fill out the application below inorder to apply.